Created: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 06:00:00 PST
Updated: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 12:11:41 PST
San Diego - An Alpine mother says her daughter ended up in the emergency room after smoking hookah at a Rancho San Diego hookah lounge.
Christine Miller says her daughter passed out and hit her head because she was nauseous and dizzy after leaving the lounge Saturday night. At Grossmont Hospital, Miller says doctors discovered it was caused by carbon monoxide poisoning.
"Very, very scary. I had no idea this could happen, that's why I am here getting the word out. I had no idea this would happen," say Miller.
She says wants people to know smoking hookah can have risks.
UC San Diego Emergency Room Dr. Christian Tomaszewski says he has seen other cases of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by smoking hookah.
He says the smoke contains cancer causing hydrocarbons, along with nicotine and carbon monoxide. He says it's the equivalent of smoking a pack of unfiltered cigarettes.